How would you like to make your own CBD oil at home?
CBD oil is a great way of getting the health benefits of Cannabidiol (CBD) without having to inhale a ton of hemp flowers. The problem most people have is knowing exactly what to do and what products to buy. There are so many different methods that all say different things.
Don't worry I have you covered. By the end of this post, you will find out how to make high-quality CBD oils. All without needing thousands of dollars to make it or use pointless ingredients to get the end product.
Click the table of contents below to see what you will find out.
Why You Should Learn How To Make CBD Oil
Making your own CBD oil at home can be a long preparation process but it's worth it. You can use large amounts of flowers that get concentrated into an oil form.
CBD oil is one of the most discreet ways of enjoying Cannabidiol (CBD) without gaining any unwanted attention. The onset of effects is also extremely quick compared to other methods such as smoking, vaping, or taking edibles. The last pro is that the final product is extremely bioavailable. Meaning that most of the CBD gets into your bloodstream compared to the other methods.
There are plenty of benefits that CBD oil may help with such as anti-anxiety effects, anti-inflammatory, calming down muscle spasms, and a lot more.
What Is The Process Of Making It
The preparation process isn't that long. It's the extraction that will take the majority of the time. The same method that's used for making traditional cannabis oil (high THC) is the same method used for making CBD oil.
The first process of making any CBD oil is to extract Cannabidiol (CBD) from the plant itself. To get the same health benefits as the CBD oil products that you would buy online, you'll need to use a specific strain of cannabis. You'll also need a carrier oil to put the final extract in so that it's CBD infused. Coconut oils are popular but MCT oil specifically is the best carrier oil to use for maximum absorption.
Pick Your Cannabis Flower
There are hundreds of different strains of cannabis out there. There are CBD-rich strains, balanced strains of THC to CBD, and lastly hemp plants. Hemp is a name used to describe cannabis that is less than 0.3% THC and contains high CBD. Anything more than that and it would be described as marijuana. Marijuana plants aren't federally legal because of the THC content.
Why does this matter? Well THC and CBD have different effects. Have a look at this picture to see the different effects of cannabis.
Hemp is perfect because it only has trace amounts of THC which produce no mind-altering effects. It's also federally legal but marijuana isn't.
Okay so back to the process of making CBD oil. So the first step is to have a hemp strain of cannabis.
The next step is to decarboxylate it. That's just a fancy word for activating the compounds in cannabis. You can also call it "decarbing". Decarbing cannabis means simply heating it for a period of time.
Depending on the method you're using to extract the compounds there are a few things you can use:
If you're doing the solvent method, the quick and easy way is to this is to put it in the oven. The only problem with putting it in the oven is that it burns off up to 30% of the compounds. The best thing to avoid this problem is to buy a decarb device that helps maintain all the compounds. It may seem a little expensive at first but it's well worth it and pays for itself in the future.
It's also extremely discreet because there is no smell. When you put it in the oven, not only does it destroy the compounds but it stinks up the whole house. And I mean REALLY stinks. I highly recommend you use something like Ardent Nova because of its low heat and smell. This is the best way to maximize how many compounds you can use for extraction.
With the solventless method, you can use a decarb capsule. I'll explain more about this later.
Extract the cannabinoids
Making CBD oil is pretty straight forward. After you've decarbed your flower, you need to either use a solvent or solventless method to extract the cannabinoids. Cannabinoids are located in the trichomes of the flower which gets separated from the plant material.
Depending on the method you've chosen you are nearly done. I will show you the methods, how to take CBD oil and how to dose. Don't worry we will get to the good stuff.
Keep in mind that this will be a full-spectrum CBD oil extract.
Where To Buy Hemp Flower
Unless you intend on growing hemp flower yourself at home, you will need to buy this. The quality of the flower you buy will reflect the quality of the final product.
There are a lot of companies out there trying to sell you overpriced CBD flowers. Plus they don't even have 3rd party lab reports to prove how much THC and CBD there is in it. It could be marijuana for all you know. Even just a one percent difference in THC can fit a marijuana description.
There is an amazing company called PlainJane that sell high-quality hemp flower. They are affordable and you can buy large amounts of supreme quality buds. As for the types of hemp flowers you can get, you can choose strains that have the effects you want to feel. They have the options of energizing strains, chill strains, and more.
You can check out customer reviews and testimonials on their website from plenty of other people that have used their CBD products.
Pros & Cons of Solvent Vs Solventless Method
There are two methods that I'll be sharing with you today. These are guaranteed to work if you follow everything step by step.
The two methods are solvent and solventless.
Solvent Method: CBD Oil With Alcohol
The solvent method involves using alcohol to pull the compounds from the plant. This is done by soaking the flower in alcohol for a couple of weeks before separating the plant matter. CBD tinctures go through a similar process but the steps in this are slightly different.
After the extraction process, you will evaporate the alcohol part and then mix the final extract with MCT.
Solventless Method: CBD Oil Alcohol
The solventless method should be everyone's first choice. That's what I believe anyway. But it does come at a cost. If you're trying to make high-quality CBD oil products like the best companies on the market, you should use a solventless method.
The best CBD oil companies in America use co2 extraction machines to extract the compounds. These are super expensive and not necessary to make your own CBD oil at home. Instead, you can use a rosin press machine.
Nugsmasher is the most affordable high-quality machine press that you can use. They even have a video showing you how to make CBD oil at home by using this simple machine.
Method 1: DIY CBD Oil With Alcohol (solvent)
What You'll Need
Here's a list of things that you'll need when making CBD oil with alcohol (also known as a tincture).
Here are the steps on how to make CBD oil at home using.
- 1Decarb your flower using the Ardent Nova machine. All you need to do is wait until it's finished and you'll be good to go. If you're using the oven, set the temperature to 225 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for 45 minutes.
- 2Grind up your flower using a coffee grinder or herb grinder.
- 3Put the ground flower into a mason jar and pour your alcohol until it sits slightly above. Then put this mix into the freezer and wait for 2 weeks. During this process, all the cannabinoid compounds are being pulled out.
- 4After 2 weeks, take it out of the freezer and let it all melt. Once melted get one cheesecloth or potato ricer to strain the plant matter. I strongly recommend you use a potato ricer because you'll be able to strain as much liquid as possible. This will give you a higher yield of cannabinoid compounds present in the final solution.
- 5Next, you want to use a coffee filter to get rid of the leftover plant lipids and fats.
- 6Once you have a final, clear, and potent cannabinoid-alcohol mix, you now want to use one small fan and let it sit overnight. The fan will speed up the alcohol evaporation process. After 24 hours you should be left with pure cannabinoids in the form of an oil-like substance.
- 7The last thing you want to do is mix this extract with MCT oil. You can use a double boiler if you want. A double boiler can help speed up the mixing process. The MCT will help with absorbing those cannabinoids.
- 8This step is optional but you can buy a Tcheck to see how potent your final oil is.
Method 2: DIY CBD Oil Without Alcohol (solventless)
Here's a list of things you'll need when making CBD oil organically without the use of alcohol:
What You'll Need
You can find most of these things on the official Nugsmasher website. They didn't pay me to mention them, I simply like their product and they have everything you need.
If for any reason you get confused with these steps you can just watch this video below.
- 1The first step is to load up your hemp flower into the extraction bag.
- 2Turn the rosin press machine on and place your loaded extraction bag into the machine. Remember to put this between the parchment paper because this is where the rosin will be collected. The machine will apply pressure and heat and squeeze all the cannabinoids out.
- 3Once the rosin is made, you can scrape this off by using a scraping tool.
- 4Next, you want to put the rosin into the decarb capsule after you've heated it up. This will heat up and decarb the rosin so that it's activated.
- 5The final thing you want to do is use a hot plate and mix the MCT with the decarbed rosin. The amount of MCT you use will depend on how potent you want the final oil to be.
- 6This step is optional but you can use a Tcheck machine to see how potent your mix is.
How Do You Consume CBD Oil?
CBD oil is consumed sublingually. This means you need to make sure you put the oil under your tongue for about 30-60 seconds before swallowing it. When you do it like this, the glands in your mouth absorb the compounds from the oil into your bloodstream. Once it's in your bloodstream it stimulates your endocannabinoid system which gives you the effects. The onset of effects occurs within minutes and can last up to 4 hours. It's important that you hold the CBD oil before swallowing to get the full health benefits.
Here's a quick video on how to do it.
How To Find Your Dosage
The key to using homemade CBD oil or any hemp products for that matter is to find your dosage. CBD oil is great for things like anxiety, sleep and pain. But to see a real difference in how you feel and the relief you get from your condition is to find your perfect dosage.
I made a whole post about this. It really goes into detail about where to start and how to calculate your dose depending on how strong your CBD oil is.
You now know how to make CBD oil at home. You don't have to buy CBD oil products from a company if you don't want to. You can take matters into your own hands, use the exact strains that you want, and make your own homemade CBD oil.
To summarise this post:
I hope you found this post hopeful.
If you have any questions, feel free to leave them in the comments section down below.